Tuesday, July 25, 2006

camping, camping, camping


First full day back in the city and boy is it hot. I made the mistake of going into the centre, which is like a cauldron, or perhaps more accurately, like being in a sauna with a blanket over your head since the humidity makes the 35c heat seem much worse. Still, anything was better than listening to a pneumatic drill for eight hours non-stop.

I left Thessaloniki last week to get to the beach and camp under pine trees next to the sea which has really mellowed me out, I needed a break from the noise and fumes of the city. The whole trip was made even better by the fact that I got to hang out with friends, some of whom I haven't seen for a long time. The place where we camped is near Platanitsi, Halkidiki, a huge camp site that you can sneak into and set up your tent and they don't even know you're there, especially if you go there by bike through the woods. Just don't tell them you heard it from me, LOL.

I also spent a night at Armenistis camp site, (no sneaking in, alas) which was fun. They have a really good beach bar and on Saturday night the place was full of people having a great time dancing and listening to the DJ's excellent choice of music. Unlike most bars they seem to have realised the the 80's are over and that listening to the same music for 20 years is not cool. It was fun to listen to new stuff.

On the other hand, Platinitsi beach seemed to hosting a Spinal Tap talent lookalike contest. I thought that the band playing was into some serious parody until I realised with horror that it was just plain serious. Still, if you're into late 70's haircuts and air guitaring then this was ground zero.


I also bumped into a couple of my ex-students there, one whose name I won't mention (yes Savvas, I mean you) was the worse for wear and as well as doing figures of eight decided at midnight that it was the perfect time to go for a swim, fully clothed. Luckily, for him, there with a bunch of his friends to make sure he got back to his tent in one piece, if a little chilly. I wouldn't have liked to have rented space in his skull the following morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment