Saturday, February 10, 2007

A day in the life



Recently, I started lessons with Athena and Vicky who who didn't have the chance to learn much English at school. English will be their third language and third alphabet as they already know Russian and Greek. I'm trying to use many of the new ideas that I've picked up from the internet in our lessons and they seem to be working.

One thing I do insist on is that they record themselves speaking. I cannot stress strongly enough the benefits of getting students to do this. In our lessons that means using the listening exercises from the Headway book we're doing. After every short such exercise I ask them to practice saying them on their own (thankfully, the book has transcripts at the back), recording their performance and, if necessary, redoing it. As most newer mobile phones have audio recording capability no special equipment is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment