Saturday, June 17, 2006

Whoooosssshhhh (2)


The city I grew up in is changing so quickly that it seems breathtaking. The centre which used to be filled with truely awful 70's Neo-Brutalist architect is getting a makeover and the skyline is filled with cranes. I keep on getting lost as the old landmarks I used, in the past, to navigate by have disappeared, now just gapping holes in the ground.

I suppose that I should feel outrage or at least unease that so many of the things I grew up with have gone, yet I find myself full of joy and expectation. What will take the place of the dire buildings that have blighted the place for so long?

On another note I went to the centre and came across, I don't know what to call it, lets say a festival, designed to promote a some weird form, urban mutation of orientering. In addition to people doing their thing on skateboards and BMX(?)s there was live music. I've forgotten what rock/ music felt like. I mean literally feels like, the kind of stuff that makes your sternum resonate. I cannot convey how great it was. The band playing were all teenagers whose sound just blew me away.

See here for link

No comments:

Post a Comment