Friday, August 4, 2006

Moving abroad


I read today in the BBC website that 54% of Britons want to move abroad. I just wonder how many of those people have actually considered what such a move would involve? I remember seeing programmes on British TV about couples and families seeking the good life in a foreign country. What struck me most was how little they had thought through their decision.

It was if they were an eight-year old talking about running away to join the circus, or a teenager saying that they were off to Hollywood to become a movie star. The mundanities of everyday life such as getting a job (without knowing the language,?), their children's education, etc seemed to be distant abstractions.

Speaking from personal experience, I would say that it takes a particularly tough - minded kind of person to live outside their own culture/language/country.

No comments:

Post a Comment