Saturday, June 23, 2007

On learning

It struck me today that I've posting posting pictures on Flickr for just over a year. I went back to the ones I took this time last year and it is so strange to see what I was doing. Sometimes Flickr seems the equivalent of a visual diary. The strange thing is that the images I took then, or even a few weeks back, feel like they belong to a different era. An exaggeration I know but things have changed so quickly.

What started simply as a way of sharing family snap shots with my folks in England has evolved into an entirely different beast. I can see the learning curve that I have followed from simply pointing my modern day version of a box brownie and hoping for the best into something far more....sophisticated? Dare I use the word?

In learning so much about photography over the last year I can not help but draw parallel to my job as a teacher, that given the right incentive we can all digest huge amounts of information (in my case a 120 page Nikon manual written in jargonised Greek). Learning is built into our very fibre and yet so much of what we educators do seems to deaden this vital instinct.


Before


After

No comments:

Post a Comment