Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What a day - Greek riot updates

No end to violence in Greek cities

What a day. I went back to the centre to see what was happening around the university campus I Thessaloniki as just when I thought everything was quiet and all the violence has ended I turned a corner right into a couple of platoons of riot police getting ready to retreat from stone throwing anarchist who'd left the university grounds.

I was fumbling about to figure out how to turn on the video camera my student had just lent me when my mobile rang and somebody at Sky news told me I'd be talking live. Yikees!!!! Then all hell seemed to break loose as the MAT (Greek riot police regrouped) and charged back by me. In the middle of giving an eyewitness account my truculent mobile died on me making for a dramatic effect, I guess.

Strangely, around the riot police were groups of masked men throwing stones into the university, something that did not seem to bother the cops next to them at all. I keep on hearing rumours members of the far right Xryse Aygh movement are getting involved but I can't confirm this.

I do however have video of the incidents around the university which I'm putting up on Youtube in a while.

Update



I managed to upload the video which shows the situation last night just outside the university next to the Genematas hospital. Notice the civilians wearing gas masks and throwing stones at the anarchists in the university just meters from where the riot police are standing.

In Patras, the port city near Athens thousands attacked rioters in the university grounds.

I just came across this video uploaded to ireport by my friend, Jay. It shows high school students demonstrating in he Analipsi district of East Thessaloniki yesterday. They are chanting, "Batsi gourouni, dolofoni", "cops, pigs, killers"

No comments:

Post a Comment