Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Beam me up, Scotty!


Like most of you, I have read a lot about technologies such as Skype, Voip and Wi-Fi over the last few years. Yet they might have talking about tractor beams or hyper drives as far as Greece is concerned. The cost and difficulty of obtaining DSL has long been a matter of deep frustration amongst net users here. However, things are slowly changing, wifi hotspots are making their appearance and I've been making a point of trying to find them here in Thessaloniki.

Luckily, I even found one at the back of one of the classrooms here in the school and so I decided to download Skype and try it out. Eflgeek in South Korea was the lucky (?)recipient of my first voip phone call. It's strange when ideas that have only been an article in a magazine or a website suddenly becomes part of your life. It's almost as if you've joined the cast of, say Star Trek. I remember staring at my first mobile phone and thinking that it was just like Kirk's communicator.

BTW I think I've found the world's most expensive internet connection. Most large hotels here have wifi hotspots but they can only be accessed after you buy a card. The going rate is 6 Euros for two hours. That works out as 1080 euros a month!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment