Sunday, May 7, 2006

The last in an occasional series

This is the last look at the way the ideas I have used over the last year worked out. Previously, I talked about blogging and podcasating. This post will deal with other technology - based ideas that I used.

DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY/VIDEO

Over the last few years I have been using my digital camera in my lessons and this year was no exception. Originally, I used the camera to video student speaking and so help them with their performance in the FCE/CPE interviews. The idea was that I then burnt the interview onto CD which they took home to watch on their PC/DVD player.

This proved especially good at making students aware of things such as maintaining eye contact with the person they're addressing (no more staring at shoes or a blank spot on the wall behind the examiner), avoiding monologues when they should be discussing the answers with their partners etc.

I now realise that this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as using digital cameraa are concerned. They can be used in conjunction with, say a course book, to personalise learning. An example of this is the exericse I did with a lower intermediate student. The aim of the exercise in his course book was to create a story based on pictures, Instead of using those I gave him five minutes him to take five of his own and write about them instead.

Of course, The addition of photos to students' blogs make them much more appealing for both reader and author alike.

PROBLEMS FACED

Students almost universally hated being videoed. I have yet to meet a student who embraced the idea, at least in the beginning. However, wiith enough persuasion and explanation most agreed to be videoed, and (eventually) saw the benefit of it.

MOBILE PHONES

The bane of many teachers' lives. However, as they get more sophiticated and include features such as cameras and mp3 players I feel they will be extremely useful for teachers. The ability to record yourself or listen to mp3's on the go is not to be underestimated. As I said before, they are a langauge lab that fits comfortably into your pocket.

WIKIS

I have Wikipedia extensively over the last year as a source of information in my lessons. What I want to do next is to get students to produce their own. For example they could use it to explain a national holiday or local custom. The possibilities are endless. In addition the fact that entries cab be read and edited by others makes all the difference to student motivation

I should say at this point that Cool Cat Teacher's blog has been an enormous source of ideas and inspiration over the last six months. If you haven't read her blog on teaching and technology then please do.

No comments:

Post a Comment