Friday, July 14, 2006

Notes from another world


I used to think that childhoods were like aircraft landings - anyone you walk away from in one piece is a good one. However, when you read about some of the terrible things people have done to children, even their own you start to realise that this is not true, that many don't just walk away, a little battered but basically intact.

I found a extremely well-written blog today and was alternatively moved and shocked by a Kristina's fight to come to terms with the terrible time she suffered at the hands of her parents. I didn't know which emotion to feel, alternating between anger, pity and admiration as I read Kristina's account of growing up with an abusive father and deeply flawed mother.

Despite all the crap she went through she has gone on to get an MBA and is doing her CPA. Not exactly a happy ending I guess, as in these cases there is no such thing, but a wonderful story about someone overcoming the past, rather than letting it destroy her.

I'm not sure what the netiquette is about linking to blogs in cases like this, but I assume that since Kristina has used her real name I'm not revealing anything she would want kept private.

Lightning Rod Girl

However, I must warn you that some of the things she talks about in her blog are raw and sometimes harrowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment