Friday, September 8, 2006

Thessaloniki under seige






Today sees the start of the International Trade Fair here in Thessaloniki and and the prime minister of Greece, Kostas Karamanlis is scheduled to give a speech. He will announce that public works such as the city's long awaited subway and the airport expansion will start soon. I like to see politicians pay their respects to such time-honoured traditions, as he is the fifth prime minister I've seen announce exactly the same public works. Hell, one year they even went as far as dig a hole in Egnatia St to show how serious they were about their promises. Only to fill it in three years later when the funding and political interest in Athens disappeared.

On the other hand, the city looks as if it is under seige. The streets are full of riot police hanging around their armoured buses, awaiting the arrival of the numerous demonstrators who will come later this evening. I tried taking a few photographs but the police made it clear that I'd better not. They looked jittery and so I thought that engaging in a discourse about my right as a citizen to take snap shots would be asking for trouble. Just as well I got my hair cut as they were stopping everyone with long hair ("they're all anarchists, as everyone knows") in Navarina Square.

Phalanxes of cops are marching up and down the streets in full riot gear and there seems enough manpower here to have another crack at Stalingrad. As they say in Greek, "the air smells of gunpowder". Strangely though, the actual trade fair is quiet and very laid back (a thousand law enforcement officers not withstanding) and I'm writing this in the air-conditioned comfort of the Education Ministry's pavilion.

More updates on the hour, every hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment