Tuesday, September 5, 2006

"Now, what I want is, Facts."


I'm in the centre again, sweating it out on an a bench near Karolou Dil St. My original plan was to pop downtown and find myself some free wifi hotspot in order to make some phone calls to England using Skype. Unfortunately, the wifi landscape is always in a state of flux, many have simply disappeared whereas others are now occupied by building sites or people have wised up and turned on their firewall. One place has even been turned into a public urinal, judging by the smell.

However, my persistance has paid off and I eventually found a bench in the shade in which to do my stuff. Still, it's 30c and very humid which means being here is not much fun.

I had a great fun this morning as I had the chance to use film, music, blogs and comics all in one lesson. I have a student, Kostas, who being a typical 14 year old boy at the end of his summer holidays has little enthusiasm for doing lessons. He is, on the other hand, crazy about science fiction and so that is the angle I'm pushing in order to get him to read and write in English. It seems to be working, at least for the time being. It has to be better than what most of his friends have to go through when doing their lessons at frontisterio (small language schools) which consist of mindlessly learning lists of grammar rules and vocabulary.

It's so heartening to see that the spirit of Dicken's Thomas Gradgrind is alive and well in the twenty first century. You can't beat traditonal values!

No comments:

Post a Comment